Leading communities to reconsider walking for the nations health
Mind & Body
Carmen will undertake walking the coastal paths of the British Isles in January 2020, to
– raise awareness of walking in nature for the mind, body and spirit
– bring together communities through walking
– normalise therapy
She will leave from her childhood home Weston super Mare, and head east around the Isles. Along the way, she will invite individuals, schools, businesses to join her for Soulwalks. To be hosted in coastal towns and villages, these will open to anyone. We’ll be raising money for mental health. Firstly for ASCA (Addiction Support and Care Agency) where Carmen worked for 3 years and feels passionate about addiction in our society and working with this group. For grow, a local wellbeing charity in Sussex who encourage community groups to explore nature. And either MIND and/or the RNLI who Carmen is in discussion with. Bear with us as we set up our virgin money pages.
She will ask friends of Soulhub to join her, whilst she shares their stories with the nation via the SoulCast podcast. Stories to unveil how we are all feeling in thee times of uncertainty. The state of our nation. How does this vary from West Whittering, to the Shetland Islands, to St David’s. From fishermen and pub landlords to business owners, grandmothers to school leavers. What’s really going on.
Soulwalker Sessions (Around the UK)
And if you want to receive some talking therapy or want to pledge a therapy ‘soulwalker’ session for someone you know or even a stranger, you can do that. How amazing is that. Gift someone their first ‘walk and talk’ or a phone call with Carmen. Who knows where that might lead them. Often it’s the first conversation which leads to an understanding that more support should be sought.
You can pledge via the Soulwalker Pledge page from 1 Oct, you can book yourself on each day. All conversations are confidential with Carmen, a trained therapist.
We have our first Soulwalk from 20 October in Richmond Park at 9.30am. Think parkrun for walkers. 4 other walks take place across London, in major parks. Check out Soulwalk page.
Crabtree and Evelyn are supporting us by giving £5 donation to our charities for the first 20 people registered, and a goodie bag. So please sign up via eventbrite. Come walk with friends, family, the dog, or yourself. All welcomed. Melinda McDougall is giving a talk on the herbal plants in the park for our first Soulwalk.
Love to get involved?
We’re just pulling together the itinerary, routes and partnership opportunities. In particular these are some of the ways:
- Come join us for a SoulWalk – Likely to be on a Sunday morning at 9.30am for 3kms across the country. Bring your friends, school, families, businesses. Further details on our London Soulwalks launch events and planned Soulwalks are over here.
- Pledge to gift a ‘soulwalker’ session for yourself, a friend, family, neighbour or stranger
- Listen to the SoulCasts
- Tell us where you’d like us to visit? Do you have something interesting to see or do? A festival. A new school sports facility. New coffee shop!
- Help out with a place to stay? Carmen is a sucker for views and quaint dwellings
- Take part in our ‘knit a hat’ for Carmen, or buy one of Irene’s (her mum! ❣️) hats – Donation for charity
- Share news and follow us #sole2soul @soul_hub
- Partnership to ‘offset’ the therapy en-route. Imagine funding local community therapy around Britain!
- Partner the Soulwalks
- Media (Local radio, TV, Press, Digital) partnership to raise awareness of mental health
- Ask me to come and talk to you, your school, business, village
- Provide the best outdoor kit money could buy! It’s going to be cold…(I LOVE a fun woolly hat!)
For now please email email@example.com as we bring this all together over the next three months.