Leading communities to reconsider walking for the nations health
Mind & Body & Spirit
From January 2020, Carmen is walking the British Isles coastline to:
– raise awareness of walking in nature for the mind, body and spirit
– bring together communities through Soulwalk
– normalise therapy
She left from her childhood home Weston super Mare, heading west around the Isles. Along the way, she’s inviting individuals, schools, businesses to join her for short community Soulwalks. To be hosted in coastal towns, cities and villages, these will open to anyone, and free to all.
We held our first Soulwalk in October 2019 in Richmond Park. Think parkrun for walkers. 7 other walks took place across London, in major parks, and Bristol. [More on Soulwalk background]
We soon remembered, that we all crave connection. That a simple initiative can bring joy to many. To meet new people. It gives an excuse to bring friends and creates time to talk to them. It allows you to slow down. It allows you to be quiet. It’s simple. It’s understated.
So we invite you to join us for one of our Soulwalks around the UK. Or to start your own. Make that change in your community. Be part of our Soulhub community.
Love to get involved?
We’re continually creating the itinerary, stages and partnership opportunities. If you’d like to join a community Soulwalk, or organise one then check out the details below or just email Carmen.
These are some of the ways to get involved:
- Come join us for a Soulwalk – From 9.30am for 3kms across the country. Bring your friends, school, families, businesses. Further details here.
- Organise your own Soulwalk (email Carmen@soulhub.co.uk) for a starter pack.
- Pledge to support what we’re doing via the ‘Soulwalker pledge’ – this goes towards ‘walk and talk’ therapy sessions with Carmen as she walks around the British Isles, and towards soulwalks so we can keep them free for all.
- For each pledge we send you a hat knitted by Irene (Carmens mum!) and we have over 50 hats knitted so far….
- Listen to The Soulwalker Podcast
- Tell us where you’d like us to visit? Do you have something interesting to see or do? A festival. A new school sports facility. New coffee shop!
- Help out with a place to stay? Carmen is a sucker for views and quaint dwellings
- Share news and follow us #soulwalk @soul_hub @soul_walk
- Partner Soulwalk. This can be done in a number of ways:
- Funding the National or Regional Soulwalk, and help improve local community wellbeing around Britain
- Engage your employees to join Soulwalk for their wellbeing
- Promote Soulwalk to your customers and communities
- Create bespoke Soulwalk for your business
- Media (Local radio, TV, Press, Digital) partnership to raise awareness of walking in nature for our mental and physical health
- Ask me to come and talk to you, your school, business, village – Soultalk
- Provide the best outdoor kit! It’s going to be cold…(I LOVE a fun woolly hat!)
Soulwalker Sessions (Around the UK)
And if you want to receive some talking therapy or want to pledge a therapy ‘soulwalker’ session for someone you know or even a stranger, you can do that. Gift someone their first ‘walk and talk’ or a phone call/Skype with Carmen. Who knows how beneficial it can be for someone. Often it’s the first conversation which leads to an understanding that more support should be sought.
To pledge, visit the Soulwalker Pledge page – You can book yourself in for a session. All conversations are confidential with Carmen, a trained therapist.
For now – please email firstname.lastname@example.org as we continue to evolve.
What do people say about Soulwalk?
”A great walk with Soulwalk in Hyde Park. Perfect way to spend a Sunday morning. We all met at the meeting point, gathered and started our walk. During our time together we discovered parts of the park we had not seen before, which led to new conversations as the scenery led to new open thoughts and fresh perspectives. Soulwalks is such a great idea as it gives you time out of your day to day life to express hopes and dreams and realities, and therefore wellbeing in nature. I felt up lifted and looking forward to the rest of the day and week. Can’t wait to join the next walk.” Jason Moore
We’ll be raising money for mental health. Firstly for ASCA (Addiction Support and Care Agency) where Carmen worked for 3 years and feels passionate about addiction in our society and working with this group. For grow, a local wellbeing charity in Sussex who encourage community groups to explore nature, and for ‘Trees with Beauty’, planting trees in Scotland to offset our consumption.
The Soulwalker Podcast
Carmen is sharing stories form friends and strangers and with the nation via The Soulwalker podcast. Stories to unveil how we are all feeling in thee times of uncertainty. The state of our nation. How does this vary from West Whittering, to the Shetland Islands, to St David’s. From fishermen and pub landlords to business owners, grandmothers to school leavers. What’s really going on.